Monday, February 25, 2013

Limits of our Joy



But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.  If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.  1 John 1:7-9 NIV

To push themselves to these limits these athletes must have an incredible amount of discipline. Do you think they look for all of the little flaws in their performance that will spell disaster?  I have never thought that I would be a pastor that placed much emphasis on sin. I have always been attracted to the love that is offered so prominently in the Gospels. Perhaps this is because I am blinded by the wondrous freedom and joy that accompanies a life filled with God’s love. I look back and see my life without God with the attendant loneliness, heartache, suffering and egotism. I compare that to a life filled with God and wonder how anyone would not accept what God offers. During this Lenten season I have been reflecting more and more on my brokenness. As I look deep within myself to find those things that stop me from loving my fellow man I find more and more that I am missing. I am confronted with the fact that, even though I am trying to live close to God, I am still pushing away that love that I crave. Deep down in all of us we reach a point in which we say “I do not need you God!” That becomes the limit of love that we allow into our life. That becomes the limit of our joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment