Thursday, October 18, 2012

What I Know


Tim Keller on suffering

The question of suffering brings so many of us to doubt about God’s role in our lives. We get faced with problems, difficulties and burdens and we wonder “why is this happening?” If God loved me then why doesn’t he take away these things that cause me such pain? Can I say that I don’t know. I have heard all of the arguments of why we have evil and suffering. I have wondered myself why has God not stepped in and fixed situations. Many times when I am faced with problems and they work out for the good I thank God for answering my prayers. What about when it doesn’t work out so well? When I am successful and my neighbor is not, does that mean that God loves me more? No it doesn’t. For a long time I thought that the opposite of love was hate. There is an old saying that there is a thin line between love and hate. I think this is true. There is a great chasm between love and indifference. As Keller points out, what Jesus did for us means that there is no way He is indifferent to us. So I can honestly say that I do not have many of the answers, but one thing I do know. God really does have the greatest of love for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment