Friday, March 1, 2013

The Undesirables


Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?  “No one, sir,” she said. “Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.” John 8:10-11 NIV

I come into contact frequently with those who society deems to be the undesirable. Those who are not wanted and those who are blamed for many of the hurts of others are often castigated and alone. Often these same people who are lost and hurt are denied the grace that they so need in order to be healed. They may be shunned or barred in order to maintain our peace and comfort. We get nervous when faced with people who don’t fit the norm. I had used the intolerance of those who looked down on others as a reason to condemn all people of faith. As I have joined in the religious life I have seen how rare it is for an attitude of intolerance to prevail in the Christian church. I see tolerance and love at every turn. I see welcoming and grace in all the nooks and crannies of Christian fellowship. I had to but open my eyes to see. This lifting of the veil of judgment happened when I opened my heart. There is a saying that I couldn’t love another until I learned to love myself. I have always thought different. I couldn’t love another until I learned that God loves me.

No comments:

Post a Comment